Monday, October 13, 2008

SOTW #6

Oh man, this is a good one. I'm sitting around the house thinking about what should I put on here. It's song of the week Monday, for crying out loud! I'm also whipping butt on poker and reading everybody's weekend updates on their blogs so it's a good day. I start thinking about what was the first really "Christian" music I ever listened to. Stryper? No! Then it came to me. Of course!



Jesus Christ Superstar. I'm not sure if other Christians dig this movie or not but I sure do. The singing and dancing are phenomenal. Ted Neeley plays Jesus, Carl Anderson is Judas, and Yvonne Elliman is Mary Magdalene. They are all so young and just full of the spirit. I think that it got a negative review from Christians when it first came out because it was such a radical departure from anything about Jesus that had come before. He wasn't a perfect Jesus. He was human. He could also sing like an, well, like an angel. Or better. He's Jesus after all.

The hardest part was picking out one song. So I didn't. I picked out 4. One from all the main characters. The first one on here is probably my favorite. Yvonne Elliman sings it. "I Don't Know How to Love Him". If I could only pick one song this would be it.




Lyrics:...Close your eyes close your eyes
and forget all about us tonight.

MARY MAGDALENE:

I don't know how to love him. What to do, how to move him. I've been changed, yes really changed. In these past few days, when I've seen myself, I seem like someone else.I don't know how to take this. I don't see why he moves me. He's a man. He's just a man. And I've had so many men before, In very many ways, He's just one more.Should I bring him down? Should I scream and shout? Should I speak of love, Let my feelings out? I never thought I'd come to this. What's it all about?Don't you think it's rather funny, I should be in this position. I'm the one who's always been So calm, so cool, no lover's fool, Running every show. He scares me so.I never thought I'd come to this. What's it all about?Yet, if he said he loved me, I'd be lost. I'd be frightened. I couldn't cope, just couldn't cope. I'd turn my head. I'd back away. I wouldn't want to know. He scares me so. I want him so. I love him so.

OK, check out the dancing and singing in this next scene. It's Simon the Zealot trying to convince Jesus to overthrow Rome. Larry Marshall is doing the singing and dancing in this one.




Lyrics:

CROWD
Christ you know I love you. Did you see I waved? I believe in you and God So tell me that I'm saved.Christ you know I love you. Did you see I waved? I believe in you and God So tell me that I'm saved.Jesus I am with you. Touch me, touch me, Jesus. Jesus I am on your side. Kiss me, kiss me, Jesus.

SIMON ZEALOTES

Christ, what more do you need to convince you That you've made it, and you're easily as strong As the filth from Rome who rape our country, And who've terrorized our people for so long.CROWDJesus I am with you. Touch me, touch me, Jesus. Jesus I am on your side. Kiss me, kiss me, Jesus.Christ you know I love you. Did you see I waved? I believe in you and God, So tell me that I'm saved.Christ you know I love you. Did you see I waved? I believe in you and God, So tell me that I'm saved.Christ you know I love you. Did you see I waved? I believe in you and God, So tell me that I'm saved.Christ you know I love you. Did you see I waved? I believe in you and God, So tell me that I'm saved.Jesus I am with you. Touch me, touch me, Jesus. Jesus I am on your side. Kiss me, kiss me, Jesus.

SIMON ZEALOTES

There must be over fifty thousand Screaming love and more for you. And everyone of fifty thousand Would do whatever you asked them to. Keep them yelling their devotion, But add a touch of hate at Rome. You will rise to a greater power. We will win ourselves a home. You'll get the power and the glory For ever and ever and ever You'll get the power and the glory For ever and ever and ever You'll get the power and the glory For ever and ever and ever You'll get the power and the glory For ever and ever and ever Forever Amen! Amen!

The next scene is Judas after he turns over Jesus to the Pharisees. I don't know how Carl Anderson wasn't nominated for an academy award for this performance. He was soooooo good. Did I mention how much I dig the music in all of this? It was written by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber. They sound familiar to you?




Lyrics:

JUDAS
Now if I help you, it matters that you see These sordid kinda things are coming hard to me. It's taken me some time to work out what to do. I weighed the whole thing out before I came to you. I have no thought at all about my own reward. I really didn't come here of my own accord. Just don't say I'm ... damned for all time.I came because I had to; I'm the one who saw. Jesus can't control it like he did before. And furthermore I know that Jesus thinks so too. Jesus wouldn't mind that I was here with you. I have no thought at all about my own reward. I really didn't come here of my own accord. Just don't say I'm ... damned for all time.Annas, you're a friend, a worldly man and wise. Caiaphas, my friend, I know you sympathise. Why are we the prophets? Why are we the ones Who see the sad solution - know what must be done? I have no thought at all about my own reward. I really didn't come here of my own accord. Just don't say I'm damned for all time.
ANNAS

Cut the protesting, forget the excuses. We want information. Get up of the floor.

CAIAPHAS

We have the papers we need to arrest him. You know his movements. We know the law.

ANNAS

Your help in this matter won't go unrewarded.

CAIAPHAS

We'll pay you in silver, cash on the nail. We just need to know where the soldiers can find him.

ANNAS

With no crowd around him.

CAIAPHAS

Then we can't fail.

JUDAS

I don't want your blood money!

CAIAPHAS

Oh, that doesn't matter, our expenses are good.

JUDAS

I don't need your blood money!

ANNAS

But you might as well take it. We think that you should.

CAIAPHAS

Think of the things you could do with that money, Choose any charity - give to the poor. We've noted your motives. We've noted your feelings. This isn't blood money - it's a ...

ANNASA

fee.

CAIAPHAS

A fee nothing more.

JUDAS

On Thursday night you'll find him where you want him. Far from the crowds, in the Garden of Gethsemane.

CHOIR

Well done Judas. Good old Judas.

Oops, I goofed up. Wrong song. That was before he gave Jesus up. Here's after. BONUS video!

This looks like a two parter my computer is messing up.

So what's your favorite Jesus movie?

2 comments:

Glenna said...

You know, I've actually never seen that movie....

daphne said...

Dude! I did not know there was a movie. My love & I saw it as a play as baby Christians and LOVED it. I think we still would love it. We sang the songs allll the time. Gonna have to show him these clips.