Friday, July 27, 2007

Hot In The City

San Diego is smoking hot. I don't know the actual temperature but I know that I have no air conditioning and I am downing a propel an hour. I love those things. The problem is it's too hot to sleep. I slept for about 3 hours after I got home. I woke up a sweaty mess. Now I can't go back to sleep. I go to church tonight (Sunday mornings I can't keep my eyes open after work) and then it's off to work.

I'm teaching myself how to play Omaha. I've found there's a couple of different variations. I've been having a lot of beginner's luck because I am consistently having winning sessions. I'm really enjoying the game, it's fun to learn something new and not have it cost you tons to learn it.

Yesterday, I drove over to The Lady Luck and sat down at a $3-6 limit hold'em table. The same guys I have been seeing for the last 3 years. I won a big hand early when my A-6s ran into a A-A-x-6 board. Here's the funny thing. Maybe my thinking's wrong on this. I'm playing against this old guy I see a lot in there. He's been leading the betting. So I check to him, he bets out and I raise. He mucks his hand and storms off on tilt to have a smoke. I could have really run the guy into the ground if I had wanted to. I check-raised him to save him some chips. At least I thought I did. I guess there's no such thing as a friendly check-raise. Sigh.

I must have drawn the wrath of the poker gods for the next 10 hands however as I couldn't win a hand to save my life, I was down to my last $15 from an original $100 buy in and put my last chips in with pocket 7's. I hit a 7 on the turn to win the hand, went on a mini rush, got myself back over even and cashed the hell out. There's no worse feeling than getting your money back and then giving it all back. I came up $6 for the 3 hours I was there. Another big win for the bubster.

1 comment:

jusdealem said...

I have noticed alot of older men really hate the check-raise. For some reason, they see it as an insult and they will get hot. They act like you stood up and slapped them across their face. LOL