Monday, September 29, 2008

SOTW #4

I am absolutely digging this guy right now. His name is Phil Wickham. He's a local San Diegan that's making good. The first time that I heard this song I was struck by how much he sounded like one of my favorite secular artists, Ryan Adams. I guess it's not as big a surprise as you would think. I was checking out his myspace page and he lists Ryan as one of his influences. Along with Jesus and his parents, so that's some pretty good company. I really love how this song is put together. He talks about it a little in the beginning of the first video.

Yes, the first video. There were two really good ones that I found and I couldn't choose so I'm leaving them both here for your perusal. The first one is him live and acoustic. A really pretty version of it.





The second is actually a video that was made by my church, Journey. Actually, the guy who made is Dan Stevers. he's done some really amazing work at our church of which this video is only one small example. Check out his other stuff here. It was made for our Easter service. I'm still trying to figure how I missed that. Where was I on Easter? I couldn't tell ya.



True Love

by Phil Wickham

Come close listen to the story
About a love more faithful than the morning
The Father gave His only Son just to save us

The earth was shaking in the dark
All creation felt the Fathers Broken Heart
Tears were filling Heaven's Eyes
The day that True Love died, the day that True Love died

When blood and water hit the ground
Walls we couldn't move came crashing down
We were free and made alive
The day that True Love died, The day that True Love died

Search your heart you know you can't deny it
Come on, lose your life just so you can find it
The Father gave His only Son just to save us

The Earth was shaking in the dark
All creation felt The Fathers broken heart
Tears were filling Heaven's Eyes
The day that True Love died, the day that True Love died

When blood and water hit the ground
Walls we couldn't move came crashing down
We were free and made alive
The day that True Love died, The day that True Love died

Now, Jesus is alive
Jesus is alive
Jesus is alive
Jesus is alive
Jesus is alive
Oh, He is alive
He rose again

When blood and water hit the ground
Walls we couldn't move came crashing down
We were free and made alive
The day that True Love died, The day that True Love died

Come close listen to the story

Does this guy rock or what?

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I hope you don't mind that I'm always commenting on your blog. You always have good things. True Love is one of my favorite Phil Wickham songs. I also really like Divine Romance. I've tried to play True Love on guitar but can't quite get it. Have you downloaded his Singalong cd? If not, go to his website- philwickham dot com and for FREE you can download the live concert he did. Just click on Singalong on the right side. It's so good! It was recorded at a church in Oregon. Would have been a blast to have been there.

Wow, that second video is beautiful. Dan did an amazing job.

Speaking of guitar chords.... Would it be weird of me to ask for chords to "Maybe" or "One More Time"? I love your songs on your band myspace.

Maybe I'm Amazed said...

Phil Wickham ROCKS! I recently went to not one, but two of his concerts. The first concert was so good, that I went to see him again a couple of weeks later. It was a worship experience that just felt so good, I wanted more!