Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wednesday Words

At Journey we are going through a 21 day season of fasting. While we are fasting we are asking God, "What?" What do you want from me, Lord. If I was asked while I'm fasting what I want I would say a delicious cheeseburger, or maybe a nice slab of prime rib with a yummy baked potato. Unfortunately no one is asking me.

If you haven't noticed, today is my fasting day. Every Wednesday through these 3 weeks is the day Letty and I chose to fast. She has it way harder than I do. She has to work, it's my day off. I get to sit at home and fast, read, pray, play cards, PSII it, nap, and do whatever I can to take my mind off of eating. I wish I could say that whenever I am hungry I instantly go to prayer and meditation but I don't have it like that. Sometimes I think a poker tournament or a NCAA basketball game will quell my hunger. Pray for me on that one.

I think that the one thing I'm getting from God is to draw closer to him through my Church. Which of course scares the heck out of me. I'm kind of an introvert by nature and most of the friendships in my life have been forged by necessity or happenstance. I'm hoping that God will make me realize that this IS necessity (much like NA has been for most of my life).

I'm finally getting cracking and jumping on the Bible study guide that I printed out from Ed at the beginning of the year. When I get home from work in the morning it's the first thing that I do. If I try to do it at any other time it just doesn't get done. Is doesn't not a word? It's showing up in my spell checker as not a word. Hmmmm.

Football season is over and I think the Chargers made a nice run just running out of gas and facing a really good team at the end. That Steeler defense is just too fast. Hopefully we will get off to a better start next season. I'm going to say something that might get me excommunicated from Chargerville. Keep Norv. Give him one more year. Hey, he's getting us to the playoffs and we are actually winning playoff games. Maybe with a healthy Merriman it would have put us over the top.

Spring training starts next month and I know absolutely nothing about the 2009 version of the Padres except they have an unhappy Jake Peavy, no Trevor time, and Adrian Gonzalez. It could be fun watching a young team rebuild this year. Or not.

Alright, off to do my daily reading and then who knows what? Have a great day. Oh, BTW

Now that the New Year is underway, how are you doing with your resolutions or goals? Have you changed them up to be more realistic?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bub...Enjoyed your post and it's awesome to watch as you grow in your relationship with, and in your relationships in, His church @ Journey. Although I didn't sign up, you've inspired me again to join you in fasting today (though that prime rib sounds pretty good!) Have a great day...Kevin

Anonymous said...

Hey Bub.

I appreciate your honesty in your fasting practice. I get it. I am joining you today in these 21 days. Have a great day!

rod

Brenda said...

I understand the introvert thing. I have to force myself to be sociable around people I don't know very well. Why is it so uncomfortable? I'm glad for our happenstance blog friendship.

One goal for this year is to not be sloppy about my quiet time with the Lord and bible reading. My prayer is that I would crave Him and His Word. Another goal is to practice my guitar more. I'm still really horrible. Last night my son and I played some progressions together, me on guitar and he played his upright bass. That's so much fun! I think those two goals are realistic.

So glad to read your new post. I know you're always so busy, but I love reading your stuff and about your life.

Well, gotta run... going to In-N-Out for a juicy cheeseburger. Sorry, that's kind of brutal, uh?

katdish said...

Hey Bub! (snort - sorry. it's late and I'm feeling a little goofy.)

I found my way over here because you're "following" my blog. Which I gotta tell you I'm a little uncomfortable with (not you, the whole "followers" thing) I don't know, I'm a follower of Christ. So if I'm a follower of a blog, is that akin to saying "I love God" and then in the next breath saying "I love raw cookie dough"? (I do, incidentally.) Rambling comment aside, I just wanted to say hi. As to the introvert thing, I'm like that only completely different. Actually, you sound just like my husband, right down to the poker obsession.

Anonymous said...

Bub,

Sunday was a very sad day but we must not be fair weather fans and give up on the Chargers. Thanks for putting that out there.

I resonate with some of what you wrote about how scary it can be to join a community. I have a very introverted side at times too. Blessings!

Michelle Goforth said...

Read your blog and must say that I am kinda confused. Maybe you should fast from your poker and a few other things and eat. Fasting is a time of seeking. What are you seeking? You said you were asking God, "what"? After reading your blog "what" is easily answered. You need to read your blog and you will find your answer. Hope you begin to take fasting a little more seriously.

katdish said...

I came over here to leave a comment about another comment, but then I did some clicking around, and decided to just say, I think you are an incredibly gracious and thoughtful guy, and obviously fairly intelligent because I can't even keep up with those guys on tv when I know what their hole cards are!

wv: rests (huh...go figure)

Amy said...

thanks for your prayers and comment the other day I had to delete the blog due to privacy on my families behalf and request. Fasting I was raised catholic and remember doing this during lent. Good luck on it, I could fast and not eat or do a certain thing but not eating at all that would be very very hard for me. New years resolution... Hmmm didn't really make any I'm back at the gym and moving into a new house. I think we shouldn't use the new year as an excuse to do something good for ourselves but in fact try to strive for a better "me" on a regular basis. That's what I'm trying to do at least.